Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tradition, Bookies, and Stalking

Being in another country is all about learning new cultures and traditions. You can see another way of life while abroad, and if you're lucky, you can take some of those experiences back home with you. This is what makes people the better for travel. I'd like to share some of the traditions I've encountered since I've been here. 

Two of the main traditions I've personally established are: 

1. Bumping my head on my slanty attic ceiling at least twice a day.
2. Slamming my knee into the booby trap that is my bed post. Bruises to prove it. 
(If I'm lucky I won't take these traditions back home)

A more legitimate one: Umbrella EVERYWHERE I GO. And sunglasses. And rain boots. And flats. The rain in Leuven falls mostly, everywhere.

The twenty minute walk to the train station is a tradition I won't mind losing. I have quickly adapted to having to dodge buses and bikers. I am now accepting bets on whether a bike or bus will hit me first, if anyone is looking for a humorous alternative to fantasy football. 

There are some traditions I'd like to establish from here on out. For instance, why do people walk past chocolate stores without getting chocolate? It's Belgium damn it!

I'd also like to set a personal goal. Through my professional stalking capabilities, I would like to find someone who went to high school with my Member of Parliament. He went to Brandywine High School and was born in 1964. If anyone knows anyone who fits that criteria, please let me know. 

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. 1964 was a good year, just ask your mom;)

    As far as bumping your head on the slanty attic. . . welcome to Erik Long's world...for that matter I imagine Austin's too!

    Please buck the system and make regular chocolate stops. Then devote a post to describing the flavors :)

    ReplyDelete