Monday, September 2, 2013

A Few Steps Forward & a Big Step Back

In the past few days, I've made a lot of progress in preparing for my trip. Of course that progress has been made largely under duress, coming from both my mother and the ever ticking clock (in military time! Sike, I haven't mastered that yet; I'm still working on solving circle clocks before the time changes on me.)  I digress- PROGRESS. 

  • We booked a trip to Dublin!!! Cheers! Slainte! 
    • Let it be noted that this booking was not made without considerable panicking on my part. I made my mom sit with me the entire time. Let it be noted that this booking was not made without error. Thinking we were being resourceful by leaving from the Brussles Charleroi airport on a day we'll be interning in Brussels, we booked it for 18 o clock. (I almost booked it for 6:45 before I realized that this would have been AM). ANYWAY Ryanair deceived us- Brussels Charleroi airport is apparently not so much in Brussels, and it looks like us little American interns will have to be taking off work a little early that day- somehow I think that Europe is more than a little used to that... Yeah Greece, I went there. (May the internet gods not let a Greek MEP see that during my internship). 
  • I began PACKING!!! 
    • This actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did all my corporate ish and made my way through the closet. Brussels has decided it would go through a wee bit of a heat wave right about now, and it's really throwing of my game. I had just convinced myself to limit shorts/ sundresses/ everything holy. 
  • I did some SHOPPING!!! 
    • I've been able to cross quite a few things of my list, which has been solid. I'm wondering if I should be buying everything a size smaller though since I'm going to be too poor to eat while abroad. I will make the exception for french fries and chocolates- for the sake of immersing myself in Belgian Culture. Sorry if my worldliness intimidates you. 
      • Important historical side note: French Fries were born in Belgium. 
      • Important Morgan side note: I was born to eat French Fries in Belgium. 
So those all seem like really productive steps and you're probably like, "Morgan you have clothing AND the promise of French Fries, I think you're ready to hop on the plane." 
However, I think I've taken a step back. Maybe like a leap back. I don't know; I haven't assessed the damage yet. This past weekend was my last full weekend in the U S of A, so naturally I had to make my way down to the D of C. It was a perfect weekend and a perfect way to end my time here. But it also made me not ready to end my time here. As summer progressed, I became distanced from my DC/CUA life enough that it was ok to not be there for a semester. But going back for the weekend and seeing campus & friends & THE COFFEE SUPPLY IN THE PRYZ & Program Board flyers that I didn't make & & & & & &  showed me all the fun I would be missing over the semester. 
I know that I'm going to have a fabulous time, but the FOMO is real- don't be fooled. 
A big part of my step back was saying my goodbye to Kristen. I already don't like that she had her first first day of school without me the other day. Next thing you know, it's goodbye. Next thing you know, you're crying in Target because you see a 21st Birthday card and realize you won't be there for her birthday. 
Thanks to everyone who made my CUA visit so much fun. Special shout out to White Person 1 & 2. 

1 comment:

  1. Just thinking. . . when in Dublin you should be thinking pollyana! (Just kidding) Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete